Frequently Asked Questions

Student Services FAQ

If students have questions you can't answer, consider referring to the Student Services page.

Adjunct Faculty FAQ

The following questions came about from conversations with adjuncts from across campus. If you have any additional questions, please see the suggestions page.

I'm new. Do I have an office, and if so, how do I know where it is?


You should have been assigned an office by Vicki Bethke and received an office key when you joined the faculty. If not, her contact information can be found on Getting Assistance page.

Where can I store my personal belongings? How about a place to hang up my coat?


You should have been assigned an office and file drawer by Vicki. The adjunct offices are D223 or G230. You should have been assigned at least one file drawer in your office. See Vicki for a key to the file drawer. The office is usually secure for your personal items, but you are encouraged to lock up purses, laptops and other similar valuable property in your file drawer(s).

Who can I go to with general questions relating to teaching mathematics at ECC?


Any of the fulltime faculty can help you. The faculty at ECC is very friendly and helpful. If you have specific questions about a class you are teaching, see the appropriate page under the courses menu. Also our Getting Assistance page gives you the contact information for the Math co-coordinators and our administrative support team.

What are the requirements for office hours?


If you are a non-unit adjunct faculty member, there are no contractual requirements to hold office hours, though most new adjunct faculty do make themselves available to students. Each UAF1 and UAF2 is required to keep at least 25 minutes of office time for student access for every 1 credit hour of classes taught. The office hours are supposed to be convenient for both instructor and students. Some night class instructors post office hours either before and/or after classes in the evening.

How do I make copies for instructional purposes?


Every adjunct faculty member should receive a copy card number from Vicki. You will need this number to use the copy machines in the faculty mailrooms or hallways and to request copies from the copy center. See the office, mail, copying page for details.

What is D2L?


Desire2Learn (D2L) is the online course management system at ECC. Many Math Faculty use it for their gradebook and making documents available to students. For more information see our Desire2Learn page.  Training is available through ECC’s Center for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning.

What are Connect, MyMathLab, and WebAssign?


These are all online course management and homework products provided from publishers to go along with many textbooks. For more information, visit the Online Homework page.

How do I input grades for midterm or final grades?


Midterm and final grades are input through accessECC. You will receive a reminder and instructions through email a week or so before grades are due. For details, visit the accessECC page.

Where do I find information about the ECC Faculty Association (ECCFA)?


ECCFA maintains a web site at

What do UAF1 and UAF2 mean?


UAF is the acronym for Unit Adjunct Faculty. UAF1 is the entry position into the faculty bargaining unit. Once requirements are met an adjunct faculty member moves to UAF2.

How do I qualify for Unit Adjunct Status?


You must teach at least 3 credit hours for at least two consecutive semesters and be employed for a third semester to qualify for UAF1 status.

Adjunct faculty qualify for UAF2 status by teaching at least 12 credits for three out of four consecutive years (academic or calendar), or at least 6 credits for six out of eight consecutive semesters.

Summer school and independent study do not count toward these hours.

How does my retirement work?


We are all covered under SURS (State Universities Retirement System) of Illinois. Information about SURS can be found at Our contribution toward our SURS retirement is 8% of our pay from ECC. Each faculty member has unique data, so it is best to contact SURS directly for personal information. Normally, HR invites representative(s) from SURS on campus each Spring semester. This is a good source of information about your SURS retirement.

How many sick days do I get and how can I use them?


Non-unit adjuncts have no sick days and will be docked pay for each day class is missed. UAF1 faculty earn one sick day per semester per class taught up to 2 days per semester. Up to 2 days may be used per semester.

UAF2 faculty earn three sick days per semester taught regardless of the number of classes taught. Up to 3 days may be used per semester. For UAF2 faculty, one day of the three may be used for personal or professional meeting leave.

Unused sick days are accumulated only toward retirement. See the Leave page for more details.

What do I do if I have to miss a day?


See above regarding sick days.

If you have to miss a class, you can try to coordinate a substitute, though this is not necessary. Inform Vicki of your absence and the name of your substitute (if applicable). You might also consider making a new post in D2L to inform your students. Vicki will post a sign on your classroom.

After the absence, you will need to submit the details in eTime. See the Leave page for more details.

What are some course policies I should include in my syllabus?


To see some examples of policy suggestions, visit the syllabus guidelines page.

How do I get supplies?


For course-specific resources (i.e. textbook supplements), contact Vicki Bethke, or you might also consider contacting the publisher directly. They are often more than willing to send you an extra copy of a textbook for you to keep at home.

For classroom or office supplies, visit D218. If there are supplies you need that aren't available, contact Vicki.

Should my students call me by my first or last name? Likewise in emails – should I sign as Mr./Mrs. Lastname or with my first name?


This is up to the individual instructor.

How do we find our Employee ID number?


You can look up your accessECC and Employee IDs through this page on

What is a math department coordinator? What is the job of a math coordinator?


Instructional coordinators work with the dean to schedule classes, coordinate classrooms, lead department meetings, and facilitate other administrative tasks. Their complete job description is located on the ECCFA website.

Coordinators receive compensation for their time, sometimes in the form of release time (teaching less classes in exchange for taking on the coordinating duties).

Coordinators are not supervisors. While they do make hiring and scheduling recommendations to the dean, they do not supervise the adjunct faculty. They also do not field student complaints regarding instructors or participate in any discipline-related procedures. Those areas are handled by the dean.

If you have any concerns regarding a coordinator, please contact the dean of the division.

What are all of the learning objectives and course pre-requisites for the course I am teaching?


You can find all these details under the courses menu.

What is the developmental sequence?


There are five developmental courses at ECC:

Students are only required to take Mth097 Geometry if they did not pass high school geometry with a C or better. Mth099 counts for both Mth096 and Mth098.

How are students placed into their math courses?


Students place into their math courses at ECC via an ACT score, a score on the COMPASS placement exam, or successfully completing the prerequiste course with a C or better. For more details, visit the placement page.

Do the developmental classes count towards a student’s GPA?


They don’t count toward the student's institutional GPA. Since Fall of 2008, they started counting toward the Standards of Academic Progress (SOAP) GPA. They also count toward the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) calculation for financial aid eligibility both in terms of GPA for ALL courses attempted and for cumulative completion rate of all courses attempted. And they also do count for athletic eligibility.

Do we have to formally assess on the test everything we are supposed to teach (all learning objectives)?


Yes and no. Faculty members are expected to assess all learning objectives, but each learning objective can often contain a wide variety of applicable problems. Faculty should use their judgment regarding which questions and how many should be included on any assessment.

How are classes assigned to adjunct faculty?


This depends on the faculty member's unit status. The staffing sequence is this:

  1. Full-time faculty select their base load, and may select one additional overload.
  2. UAF2 select up to 10 credit hours
  3. UAF1 select up to 6 credit hours
  4. Full-time faculty may select up to a 60% overload
  5. At the discretion of the dean, UAF2 may request additional load (up to 12 hours)
  6. At the discretion of the dean, UAF1 may request additional load (up to 12 hours)
  7. Non-unit adjuncts are offered courses
  8. If necessary, new hires are made

When selecting courses, you may select only from courses you are qualified to teach. If you have questions regarding your qualifications, contact one of the co-coordinators or the dean.

Non-unit adjuncts are not guaranteed courses in future semesters. Decisions will be based on the classroom observations, student evaluations, and departmental needs.

Who is my ECCFA representative?


For information regarding your ECCFA representative, visit the ECCFA website. UAF1 members should contact the 3rd Vice President, and UAF2 members should contact the 2nd Vice President.

How do I apply for a tuition reimbursement for myself or my family?


In order to receive reimbursement, the student (faculty member, spouse, or child under 25) should enroll, pay for, and complete the course. Once the course has been successfully completed with a C or better, the faculty member should complete a Tuition Reimbursement Request. See the tuition reimbursement page for more details.

Can I get a loan to purchase a computer from the college?


No. ECC no longer offers loans to purchase a computer.